Monday, June 19, 2006

USAMTS Prizes! =)

This year I participated in the United States Mathematical Talent Search (USAMTS) and placed Silver, with the fifth-highest score among all freshmen (well, to be fair, only 49 freshmen participated).

After a month or two of waiting (well, actually, I forgot about it within a few days), my prizes came today:

1. A USAMTS T-shirt. It's waaaay too big for me, but I will wait in the hope that someday I'll be able to wear it.
2. My choice of two books: There was a list of eight mainly math-related books to choose from. I chose the only two that were not math-related - one on cryptology and one on theoretical physics, both fairly interesting topics, if a bit difficult to understand at times.
3. A USAMTS pin and a signed letter from the contest director, Richard Rusczyk.

Regardless of the prizes, I highly doubt that I will participate in this contest next year, because it is a lot of work - twenty very difficult problems over the course of about four months. With my AP classes and AIME preparation I doubt I will have enough time to do this.

No comments: